[OpenIndiana-discuss] I figured this deserved a separate thread

Kevin J. Woolley kjw at javabunny.net
Fri Nov 5 00:26:19 UTC 2010

On Thursday, 4 November, 2010 17:17, "Daniel Kjar" <dkjar at elmira.edu> said:

> can expect me to type 'bash'), and ZFS.  Out of those three I would say
> #1 ZFS, #2 Uptime, #3 predictability.

Predictability is a big one for me.  It's particularly important when you deal with multiple Unix versions all day.

> So to be constructive, as soon as I get some time (after Christmas) I
> would like to make sure that R, R commander, and when KDE comes online,
> RKward packages work and are up to date for OI.  That is the least (and
> probably the most) I can do for this great project.  I hope may other
> people do the same for their programs of choice and need.  I think that

I am personally interested in packaging a wide variety of software, much of it for parity with other systems.  Do you have a favourite on-line reference for creating IPS packages, preferably something that explains the whys and wherefores as well as gives the common steps?  There's lots of information out there but it's difficult to tell what's current and correct if you don't know the process already.  :)

> will make OI exactly what everyone wants.   Luckily the real guts of the
> OS already exceed anyone's expectations.  Particularly on
> multi-processor multi-core massive ram boxes.

Yup, I've drooled over Sun's big iron for years.  :)

Cheers,

kjw