[OpenIndiana-discuss] I figured this deserved a separate thread

Daniel Kjar dkjar at elmira.edu
Fri Nov 5 02:34:05 UTC 2010

I am there with you too.  I followed the instructions to set up my own
pkg repository on an OI box, worked great and all the spec files are
there.  Now I just need to figure out what a spec file is and how to
make a working install of R and R commander turn into a package for OI.
I believe the information to do that is out there (and included in the
repository info) but I have not had the time to investigate yet.  I love
to learn so I am sure I will get it figured out eventually.

On 11/04/2010 08:26 PM, Kevin J. Woolley wrote:
> On Thursday, 4 November, 2010 17:17, "Daniel Kjar"<dkjar at elmira.edu>  said:
>
>> can expect me to type 'bash'), and ZFS.  Out of those three I would say
>> #1 ZFS, #2 Uptime, #3 predictability.
> Predictability is a big one for me.  It's particularly important when you deal with multiple Unix versions all day.
>
>> So to be constructive, as soon as I get some time (after Christmas) I
>> would like to make sure that R, R commander, and when KDE comes online,
>> RKward packages work and are up to date for OI.  That is the least (and
>> probably the most) I can do for this great project.  I hope may other
>> people do the same for their programs of choice and need.  I think that
> I am personally interested in packaging a wide variety of software, much of it for parity with other systems.  Do you have a favourite on-line reference for creating IPS packages, preferably something that explains the whys and wherefores as well as gives the common steps?  There's lots of information out there but it's difficult to tell what's current and correct if you don't know the process already.  :)
>
>> will make OI exactly what everyone wants.   Luckily the real guts of the
>> OS already exceed anyone's expectations.  Particularly on
>> multi-processor multi-core massive ram boxes.
> Yup, I've drooled over Sun's big iron for years.  :)
>
> Cheers,
>
> kjw

Dr. Daniel Kjar
Assistant Professor of Biology
Division of Mathematics and Natural Sciences
Elmira College
1 Park Place
Elmira, NY 14901
607-735-1826
http://faculty.elmira.edu/dkjar

"...humans send their young men to war; ants send their old ladies"
	-E. O. Wilson