[OpenIndiana-discuss] I figured this deserved a separate thread

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Fri Nov 5 03:56:04 UTC 2010

On Friday, November 05, 2010 12:04 AM, Rthoreau wrote:
> <snip>
>
> You could probably make a list of features that were only in OpenSolaris
> and now in OpenIndiana that people must have. On any list at one time it
> would of been ZFS and for some it still has a big place in the
> community.
>
> I see your task is possible but I see a few concerns and would counter
> with the question.  What is unique that OpenIndiana offers that is not
> available in another OI or OS distro?

Compared to the Linux universe, the lack of license issues with binary
drivers. Vendors can provide drivers and not worry about IP. Hopefully
they provide good quality ones of course...This might apply mostly to
the desktop though...

Not sure how things are when it comes to the BSDs on this score.

> Lets take ZFS for example the BSD's now have the ability to run it in a
> production environment. Gnu/Linux is now working on a viable native port
> to interact with the GPL restrictions the kernel has imposed.
>
> Which brings us to Dtrace which is one of the most unique features still
> left that many people think would be a killer feature to have.  Even
> that will soon be in the BSD's if my tea leaves are read correctly.
>
> I am just saying that the uniqueness of what was OpenSolaris is much
> dwindled and could diaapear or morph into something similar without much
> effort. So you really need to focus on an installed base and I think
> that the solaris base who don't care much for Oracle are looking for a
> viable option. OpenIndiana could become the CentOS of the solaris world
> if Oracle plays nice in the play ground.

I think it is possible to take on both fronts, desktop and server, if
some 'delegation' is done and effective means of communication between
core, desktop and server is setup.

> I think that most people will have a wait and see attitude if OI can
> just execute it's development plan as advertised bring out say two or
> three solid releases in a two year period it will probably be viable.
>
> I think hitting critical mass is very possible just look at OpenStack
> and what has been done in that short period. If you get enough people
> and a willing developer base this is certainlly possible. I do think
> Illumos has that ability right now it is in it's infancy and a few rough
> edges but with the proper care I see a bright future.

Hopefully some of the 'if' part of getting enough people/developers can
mitigated via other means...otherwise, it will mean having to make that
'if' happen.