[OpenIndiana-discuss] Solaris 11 Express available

Gabriel de la Cruz gabriel.delacruz at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 17:55:21 UTC 2010

Well they corrected the 30 days trial "smart move" with a not so different
approach.

I could make a long list of possible users others than businesses and
coders, but Oracle should work it out on their own.
I don't think their restrictions makes a real benefit for them, at all. With
their hight pricing and lack of alternatives they are painting a line on the
floor dividing who are their customers and who are not... they create the
"you are not wanted here" feeling, and this is never a good thing for
business.

Just for curiosity, how does Oracle check what kind of use you make of an
operating system? In order to evaluate third party communications or private
information this information should be already public (what means, the
information should not be private at all). Otherwise they don't have the
right to read a single packet of data. I dont think there is a way to
consider any data hosted in an OS as a publicly shared source of
information... and no communication behind a password is public. Testing and
demonstration are not required to be public actions either.. as they could
be handling very sensitive information. How are they tracking the computer's
activity?. Anyway, whatever they are logging, in order to check someone's
laptop they finally need a Judge.

Did you ever read the licensing guide to the Oracle database? Several pages
of text just in order to learn how to license your database... I think it is
the weirdest paper I ever seen in my entire life (my favorite part is the
example about the lifts). I think someone could make an Antropological study
based on that paper. It reminds me very much of the studies Spanish church
was conducting to their priests during 16th century in order to prove if
they were truly "old catholics" or something else. Oracle's way of
evaluating if you fit in the description of a "named user plus" is truly
deep.

I think they will need to write at least 15 pages just in order to describe
what "testing" really means. First they have to drop the word it self and
call you "tester plus", maybe then, some boundaries could be defined ;-P