[OpenIndiana-discuss] Solaris 11 Express available

Daniel Kjar dkjar at elmira.edu
Tue Nov 16 18:01:06 UTC 2010

  Absolutely hilarious. Thanks Gabriel, very entertaining.

On 11/16/10 12:55 PM, Gabriel de la Cruz wrote:
> Well they corrected the 30 days trial "smart move" with a not so different
> approach.
>
> I could make a long list of possible users others than businesses and
> coders, but Oracle should work it out on their own.
> I don't think their restrictions makes a real benefit for them, at all. With
> their hight pricing and lack of alternatives they are painting a line on the
> floor dividing who are their customers and who are not... they create the
> "you are not wanted here" feeling, and this is never a good thing for
> business.
>
> Just for curiosity, how does Oracle check what kind of use you make of an
> operating system? In order to evaluate third party communications or private
> information this information should be already public (what means, the
> information should not be private at all). Otherwise they don't have the
> right to read a single packet of data. I dont think there is a way to
> consider any data hosted in an OS as a publicly shared source of
> information... and no communication behind a password is public. Testing and
> demonstration are not required to be public actions either.. as they could
> be handling very sensitive information. How are they tracking the computer's
> activity?. Anyway, whatever they are logging, in order to check someone's
> laptop they finally need a Judge.
>
> Did you ever read the licensing guide to the Oracle database? Several pages
> of text just in order to learn how to license your database... I think it is
> the weirdest paper I ever seen in my entire life (my favorite part is the
> example about the lifts). I think someone could make an Antropological study
> based on that paper. It reminds me very much of the studies Spanish church
> was conducting to their priests during 16th century in order to prove if
> they were truly "old catholics" or something else. Oracle's way of
> evaluating if you fit in the description of a "named user plus" is truly
> deep.
>
> I think they will need to write at least 15 pages just in order to describe
> what "testing" really means. First they have to drop the word it self and
> call you "tester plus", maybe then, some boundaries could be defined ;-P
>

> On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 4:53 PM, Daniel Kjar<dkjar at elmira.edu>  wrote:
>
>>   IANAL but it looks just like the new EULA for solaris 10.  Testing and
>> demonstration, nothing else.  Period. If it is a production environment you
>> need to buy a license.  They also had a nice bit in there about 'we will
>> watch to make sure you don't violate this'.  As a professor that only
>> produces academic non-commercial services, I find this completely
>> unacceptable.  Microsoft sells licenses that academics can afford and they
>> still make money by getting fortune 500s to buy their crap.  Why Oracle
>> doesn't think that is viable is beyond me.

Dr. Daniel Kjar
Assistant Professor of Biology
Division of Mathematics and Natural Sciences
Elmira College
1 Park Place
Elmira, NY 14901
607-735-1826
http://faculty.elmira.edu/dkjar

"...humans send their young men to war; ants send their old ladies"
	-E. O. Wilson