[OpenIndiana-discuss] Solaris 11 Express available

Gabriel de la Cruz gabriel.delacruz at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 00:25:22 UTC 2010

Tom, I was meaning to keep Openindiana boot environment instead of
installing Solaris 11 fresh...  but if there is a method to do it without
having alrready a preexisting OI or Opensolaris boot environment, I have to
admit that am not very familiar with the process.

Well encryption is not supported in the root pool right? So it shouldn't be
a problem either.
I have been encrypting system drives on Linux by using busybox; a minimal
system boots before decrypting the drives, once you enter the paraphrase the
real kernel (stored in the encrypted drive) boots. If Oracle ever supports
rootfs encryption I guess the decryption should happen anyway before the
actual boot environment loads, so It will be possible still to keep a
separate unencrypted one with OI...  I guess the encryption will be handled
as a property of paticular zfs file system and wont involve the complete
pool... But I should really experiment all of that before even talking. I
did not tried or even read about S11 encryption. In linux filesystems you
should allways cover the drive with random data before encrypting, otherwise
the operation isn't safe enough (even /dev/urandom inst bullet proof, but
anything stronger was almost impossible to achieve without spending just
insane amount of time). I wonder how it happen on ZFS, probably it could
introduce new perspectives to encryption. it is a truly interesting subject.