[OpenIndiana-discuss] Solaris 11 Express available

Frank Middleton f.middleton at apogeect.com
Wed Nov 17 00:35:46 UTC 2010

On 11/16/10 18:18, Tom Kranz wrote:

> Why? What's wrong with ZFS snapshots and rolling back to a different BE?
> As long as you're not upgrading your ZFS pools or messing around with
> them (and ZFS encryption is the only pressing thing for me that would
> force that) then I don't see why any of this would be a problem?

Say you try to update from Solaris 11 Express (snv 151a) to OI (snv147)?
Could there be a problem with IPS with out of temporal order packages,
or packages which have been forked? Presumably OI can keep track of
the forked packages, but the temporal problem seems a bit trickier.

Say OI rewrites package frotz because it is closed source, and Oracle
fixes a bug in frotz after snv147, or OI fixes the same bug (or not). Which
frotz gets used after the upgrade (I suppose from Oracle's perspective,
downgrade)? Actually, can pkg even handle going what appears to be
backwards? The snag with a fresh install is that you lose all the local
customizations (like ISCSI setups) and that could be quite painful. The
alternative seems to be to patiently wait for Illumos to run on SPARC
and update fromsnv134b.

-- Frank