[OpenIndiana-discuss] SunStudio

Apostolos Syropoulos asyropoulos at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 18 17:26:54 UTC 2010

> Thats good news.
> Is it possible for  Oracle to put the axe to OpenJDK?
> and if so should we not look at some  alternatives?

People in this forum and elsewhere "swear" that OpenJDK will not close.

> I don't want to look at alternatives to be honest, i have  spent the last 4
> years learning and using java.
> Switching to C++ is not a  big leap because I've used it enough the problem
> is the extended  libraries

I am with you in this 100%: I hate C++!

> all the amazing stuff that comes with JDK no other language has  that stuff.
> Mono has some of it but
> it's out of the picture, i can't in  good conscience use mono for anything
> important due to its roots.
> call me  a zealot or a MS hater but I don't want to use anything that was
> conceived by  M$.

I have compiled Mono myself and I can assure you that things that should
wrong do not. To the best of my knowledge .NET is a closed source platform
and the Mono people reimplement everything just because they have nothing
better to do ;-) So yes Mono is not something one should seriously consider
for anything serious. But speaking about languages, I suggest you to have
a look at Scala, which is a language that runs atop the JVM and is far
better than Java (see http://www.cambridge.org/gb/knowledge/isbn/item2713700).

A.S.

Apostolos Syropoulos
Xanthi, Greece