[OpenIndiana-discuss] SunStudio

Nathan Evans ndickinson.evans at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 16:54:45 UTC 2010

On 18 November 2010 11:01, Apostolos Syropoulos <asyropoulos at yahoo.com>wrote:

> > I agree whole heartedly with you, however trying to find a decent
>  opensource
> > JVM that Oracle doesn't or can't control is nearly impossible. I  love
> Java
> > and switching to LLVM is to costly in terms of hours spent learning  it.
> Java
>

> I understand this,  but since OpenJDK can be built on Linux using GCC
>
> reveals that there are no shared objects that would make it impossible
> to build OpenJDK with GCC. And to be sure that nothing can go wrong,
> one can use a Java disassembler to check what is going on inside these
> .class files. So everything is possible.

Thats good news.
Is it possible for Oracle to put the axe to OpenJDK?
and if so should we not look at some alternatives?

I don't want to look at alternatives to be honest, i have spent the last 4
years learning and using java.
Switching to C++ is not a big leap because I've used it enough the problem
is the extended libraries
all the amazing stuff that comes with JDK no other language has that stuff.
Mono has some of it but
it's out of the picture, i can't in good conscience use mono for anything
important due to its roots.
call me a zealot or a MS hater but I don't want to use anything that was
conceived by M$.