[OpenIndiana-discuss] Building Ekiga/OPAL with H264/H263 support

Chdslv chdslv at gmail.com
Fri Nov 26 03:48:52 UTC 2010

Dave,

I got your following email. I am not a developer, but is quite interested in
OSs, which are not MS windows.
I am glad that some people are keeping up the Open Solaris as Open Indiana,
for I believe that one or two companies should not dictate to the world,
like the Microsoft.

I downloaded the OS and tried it. Still trying it.
CD worked quickly. It saw the video card, connected to the internet even
before the full desktop came to life. Then I installed it. It doesn't see
any other partitions with Windows or Linux. The Package Manager didn't want
to open as it asked for a root password. Interestingly the Terminal accepts
the user password as root's while the graphic window doesn't. I tried my
little knowledge in writing in the Terminal, which opened up the Package
Manager, but got the following;

"Could not operate on /var/pkg/lock
because of insufficient permissions. Please try the command again using
pfexec
or otherwise increase your privileges."

How do you go from here, I don't know.

When installed, OpenIndiana only saw MS Windows in the choose panel, (well,
I don't know ho wit is called), but doesn't see its partition when
Openindiana is opened.

I had to get back to Linux, so I had to re-install Mint, but after
installing, Mint doesn't see th eOpenindiana partition, nor it is there in
the choose panel or GRUB panel. I still have the DVD with OpenIndiana, and
there is that installed partition in the hard disk.

I would like have OpenIndiana together with Linux and also MS windows
(hmmm...I need windows for certain programs, which doesn't ever work with
Linux. Don't know, whether these would work with OpenIndiana)

If you could help, I'd appreciate that very much!

Best regards!

Chanath