[OpenIndiana-discuss] Kernel panic after upgrading to OpenIndiana

Chris Mosetick cmosetick at gmail.com
Sun Oct 3 07:47:37 UTC 2010

*jack at opensolaris:~$ pfexec zpool import -f rpool
cannot import 'rpool': invalid vdev configuration

* It seems very easy to overlook, but it is my understanding that you always
need to run these steps in a specific order:
first just run import by itself

pfexec zpool import
    <output will list pools available for import>

pfexec zpool import -f rpool

In the recent past I have forgot to run "import" by itself, and saw the same
or similar error message and thought WTF, because I know the pool was there
and ok.

I know that you should do it this way when using OS or OI, as running import
by itself first is inherent to zfs.  The expected behavior is the same on
both.  I can't say why you are seeing different output on OI vs OS live usb
environments, but at this point I would not over-analyze that.

Just run import by itself first and all should be well.