[OpenIndiana-discuss] Kernel panic after upgrading to OpenIndiana

Thorsten Heit thorsten.heit at vkb.de
Mon Oct 4 10:05:17 UTC 2010

Hi,

> It seems very easy to overlook, but it is my understanding that you
> always need to run these steps in a specific order:
> first just run import by itself
>
> pfexec zpool import
>     <output will list pools available for import>

Great, didn't know about that. Thanks :-)

> Just run import by itself first and all should be well.

Unfortunately not :-(

Booting the OI USB image, the above command gives the following output:

jack at opensolaris:~$ pfexec zpool import
  pool: tank
    id: 2207250781070144862
 state: UNAVAIL
status: The pool was last accessed by another system.
action: The pool cannot be imported due to damaged devices or data.
   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-EY
config:

        tank        UNAVAIL  insufficient replicas
          c4t5d0    UNAVAIL  corrupted data

  pool: daten
    id: 15698494553963200979
 state: UNAVAIL
status: The pool was last accessed by another system.
action: The pool cannot be imported due to damaged devices or data.
   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-EY
config:

        daten       UNAVAIL  insufficient replicas
          raidz1-0  UNAVAIL  corrupted data
            c4t1d0  ONLINE
            c4t2d0  ONLINE
            c4t3d0  ONLINE

  pool: rpool
    id: 10396893521170277275
 state: UNAVAIL
status: The pool was last accessed by another system.
action: The pool cannot be imported due to damaged devices or data.
   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-EY
config:

        rpool         UNAVAIL  insufficient replicas
          mirror-0    UNAVAIL  corrupted data
            c4t0d0s0  ONLINE
            c4t4d0s0  ONLINE
jack at opensolaris:~$ pfexec zpool import -f tank
cannot import 'tank': invalid vdev configuration
jack at opensolaris:~$

Directly rebooted in OSOLb134 USB image, executed the same command, and as
expected the output is different and without any errors:

jack at opensolaris:~$ pfexec zpool import
  pool: tank
    id: 2207250781070144862
 state: ONLINE
status: The pool was last accessed by another system.
action: The pool can be imported using its name or numeric identifier and
        the '-f' flag.
   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-EY
config:

        tank        ONLINE
          c4t5d0    ONLINE

  pool: daten
    id: 15698494553963200979
 state: ONLINE
status: The pool was last accessed by another system.
action: The pool can be imported using its name or numeric identifier and
        the '-f' flag.
   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-EY
config:

        daten       ONLINE
          raidz1-0  ONLINE
            c4t1d0  ONLINE
            c4t2d0  ONLINE
            c4t3d0  ONLINE

  pool: rpool
    id: 10396893521170277275
 state: ONLINE
status: The pool was last accessed by another system.
action: The pool can be imported using its name or numeric identifier and
        the '-f' flag.
   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-EY
config:

        rpool         ONLINE
          mirror-0    ONLINE
            c4t0d0s0  ONLINE
            c4t4d0s0  ONLINE
jack at opensolaris:~$

Why does OI think _all_ of my pools are corrupt whereas OSOL doesn't?

Regards

Thorsten