[OpenIndiana-discuss] OpenIndiana, from opensolaris background...

Edward Ned Harvey shill at nedharvey.com
Thu Oct 14 01:53:25 UTC 2010

You guys have been busy, nice job!  ;-)

I am wondering how much similarity there is between OI and osol?  Would it
be fair to say oi 147 is approx what osol 147 would have been?

I'm thinking about source code ... If you guys have "zfs diff" then clearly
you've gone beyond the latest osol build 134, and I wonder ... Is that due
to source code that sun/oracle had previously released but hadn't built into
any osol build?  You haven't actually developed this new feature here as a
completely separate line of development from oracle, have you?

Do you have access to any of what they're developing now?  And will you be
pulling from them at some point, assuming they release what they're doing at
some point?

Is OI a complete branch with separate roadmap and development efforts
outside of oracle?

I'm guessing it's more similar to the gridscheduler project ... forked from
the SGE code ... community can release some bug fixes when oracle's being
unresponsive ... but the future progress is closely dependent on either (a)
some other major player like IBM or whoever to contribute a development
team, or (b) wait till oracle releases sources, and then incorporate
those...  and meanwhile just apply bugfixes etc as necessary as the scarce
available development effort is able to provide, to compensate for oracle's
lack of support...

Right?