[OpenIndiana-discuss] XEN and Crossbow

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Mon Oct 25 05:16:35 UTC 2010

Nikola M wrote:
> Also, I heard that Solaris had Live kernel upgrades/splice from Solaris
> 8 onwards but never actuallz find anything about that and i think I
> remember it ,like asked me to reboot Solaris 10 I was running insode
> Vbox, after upgrades, too?

The Solaris version required Sun support to manually create the "splices"
for each specific configuration (the patch level you were moving from &
to both had to be taken into consideration), so it never really got adopted,
and the support was ended a number of years ago.

Most serious admins prefer knowing that if the system reboots (power outage,
hw replacement, kernel panic, etc.) it will come back up to the same state,
not a newly patched vs. spliced state, so I don't think there was a lot of
customer demand anyway.  Live Upgrade in Solaris 8/9/10, and beadm now,
provide the security of being able to rollback if a problem happens, and
downtime limited to the reboot into the new boot environment.

	-Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersmith at oracle.com