[OpenIndiana-discuss] Kernel panic trying to install OI

gonczi at comcast.net gonczi at comcast.net
Thu Oct 21 12:24:42 UTC 2010

Edit your boot line which has console=graphic ( Sorry, I may be paraphrasing,
I forget the exact wording)
to disable graphic console, replace console=graphic with -kd ( I think, the intent is to
load mdb "early" ) .
You will have to delete the "splash image" line from the boot stanza as well.
Should be able to come up and crash in the debugger and see what happened.
If all works out, you should come up in the debugger , continue ( "::cont")
and crash.

> Writing obviously wasn't successful because I
>can still boot into the former installed OS.

A zfs based install/upgrade creates a new boot environment, and always leaves the
system should remain bootable and fixable.

all the best.

Steve