[OpenIndiana-discuss] other FS

Alasdair Lumsden alasdairrr at gmail.com
Sat Oct 23 13:59:02 UTC 2010

On 23 Oct 2010, at 14:38, Apostolos Syropoulos wrote:

>> When  you say "since support was actually there", can you clarify?
>
> When I reported this "bug" Jörg Schilling replied and he wrote in that forum
> that he had prepared everything but SUN did not wanted this additional bits
> and so they were sitting somewhere...

Ahh okay - cool :)

>> If support is  missing from OpenIndiana/Illumos, then I'm sure we'd be happy to
>> add it,  assuming the code works and meets the quality guidelines.
>
> I suppose we can ask Jörg about it.

Yes - please do! The Illumos developer mailing list is probably the best place to talk about this particular topic..

Jörg is on the developer list and communicates frequently there.

>> We're far more  open to outside contributions than Sun were, being true open
>> source
>>
>> projects  with little  bureaucracy.
>
> That's why I have switched all my systems to OpenIndiana :-) BTW, this is a little bit of topic but are there any plans to include packages for MPlayer, XINE, wine?
>
> I have created pkgadd/pkgrm packages for all these programs  from http://www.sunfreepacks.com/ so I guess I can help with these.

We'd absolutely love to get those integrated, and help would very much be appreciated. We're working on providing an easy method to get additional software into the OS:

http://wiki.openindiana.org/display/~guido/OI+Extra+Consolidation

For packages that are patent encumbered, we're pondering having a separate repository in a left-leaning country so we can include things like libdvdcss/ffmpeg/mp3/mpeg2 libraries etc. Although things like libdvdcss can be used to infringe copyright, most people just want it to play their DVDs.

Do you use IRC? A lot of our communication is happening in #oi-dev on irc.freenode.net - we can get you set up with development Zones to use for building and testing. We have a fast box (Dual Xeon X5550 with 32GB ram and SSD disks) available which we can quickly provision zones on.

If you know anyone else who has contributed to OpenSolaris or open source projects in the past who would be interested in contributing, please do reach out to them as well.

Cheers,

Alasdair