[OpenIndiana-discuss] other FS

Apostolos Syropoulos asyropoulos at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 23 19:09:30 UTC 2010

>> I have created  pkgadd/pkgrm packages for all these programs  from
>> http://www.sunfreepacks.com/ so I guess I can help with these.
>
> We'd  absolutely love to get those integrated, and help would very much be
>appreciated.
>
> We're working on providing an easy method to get additional  software into the
>OS:

Well, I must admit that I know very few things about IPS... But I believe it is
not
difficult to make these packages part of a repo.

> http://wiki.openindiana.org/display/~guido/OI+Extra+Consolidation

The URL "asks" for a login/password and I do not have one :-)

> For  packages that are patent encumbered, we're pondering having a separate
>repository
>
> in a left-leaning country so we can include things like
>libdvdcss/ffmpeg/mp3/mpeg2 libraries etc.
>
> Although things like libdvdcss can be  used to infringe copyright, most people
>just want it to
>
> play their  DVDs.

Indeed and sometimes people want to make backup copies of their DVDs.

> Do you use IRC? A lot of our communication is happening in #oi-dev  on
>irc.freenode.net -
>
> we  can get you set up with development Zones to use for building and testing.
>We  have a
>
> fast box (Dual Xeon X5550 with 32GB ram and SSD disks) available which we  can
>quickly
>
> provision zones on.

In fact I have used IRC only once, but I am sure I will remember my chatting
skills very
quickly ;-)

> If you know anyone else who has  contributed to OpenSolaris or open source
>projects
>
>in the past who would be  interested in contributing, please do reach out to
>them as  well.

There is someone who I have already contacted!

A.S.

Apostolos Syropoulos
Xanthi, Greece