[OpenIndiana-discuss] Package lists

taemun taemun at gmail.com
Sun Oct 24 03:27:53 UTC 2010

Someone on Debian-testing has added rows for claws-mail and pgadmin3, and
I'm going to have to remove them.

The layout of that sheet is intentionally following that of distrowatch
(Column A is of the form "abiword (2.8.6)", which Columns B & C are
automatically updated from). The number of rows exactly matches the number
in each of the pages, eg
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=openindiana (after you hit
Refresh in the middle of the page).

If people start adding rows which don't match this format, when we try to
update automatically (ie, copy and paste columns) then it's all going to
break.

If we're going to start a wishlist (as I presume Mr Debian was trying), this
should be on another sheet, or possibly in a Wiki page. Thoughts?

Ken Mays: whilst there is a whole bunch of software available from other
sources, I thought it would be nice to show that which is available simply
by typing "pkg install <name>".

eg, on Ubuntu you'd type apt-get install blender and get:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/source/maverick/blender

(Possibly a better example would have been JRE - 6u18 is avail in repo, and
6u22 from Oracle directly. I'd want to see 6u18 in the list, personally.)

Maybe that isn't the direction that Alasdair wanted this to go in. Could you
adjudicate?

Lastly, I'd love to see some kind of alias system worked out for pkg,
whereby typing "pkg install libvorbis" can work out by itself that libvorbis
is part of the ogg_vorbis pkg, and just go get that. Having to type pkg
search libvorbis*, then work out what you want manually is a bit time
consuming. Another option would be to just split packages into their
components. If something depends upon libvorbis and libogg, both will get
downloaded, anyway. I'm not sure how package consolidation is a good thing.

Cheers,