[OpenIndiana-discuss] Package lists

Jeppe Toustrup openindiana at tenzer.dk
Sun Oct 24 00:39:59 UTC 2010

2010/10/24 Alasdair Lumsden <alasdairrr at gmail.com>:
> This is absolutely fantastic work - thanks to everyone who has contributed to it :)

You're welcome...

> The next step is to split packages into:
>
> 1. Packages we have but that should be updated to a newer version
> 2. Packages we are missing, but want to add within 3 months
> 3. Packages we are missing, but want to add within 6-12 months
>
> Then the rest can be considered packages that are nice to have, or not wanted/needed.

I have started with making a copy of the DistroWatch sheet, and tried
to only list server related packages on that list - since it's what I
know most about. It mainly shows lack in mail servers (exim, postfix),
ftp servers (proftpd, vsftpd), database servers (postgresql, firebird)
and lastly various web based packages (pgadmin, phpmyadmin,
wordpress).
It would probably be a good idea to work on the network based services
first, and then leave the webbased for now. PostgreSQL has already
been handled, afaik, and should be available in the next version of
OpenIndiana.

> This will then allow us to focus on getting those packages added, and serve as a method of distributing the work. Guido (gber) is doing some great work with regards to an extras consolidation for this software to live in:
>
> http://wiki.openindiana.org/display/~guido/OI+Extra+Consolidation
>
> If anyone is interested in helping him with this please get in touch.

I might be able to help out a bit, but it will probably mostly be in
the triaging/testing/version bumping manner, since I don't have much C
programming experience.

--
Venlig hilsen / Kind regards
Jeppe Toustrup (aka. Tenzer)