[OpenIndiana-discuss] Package repositories?

Alasdair Lumsden alasdairrr at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 22:38:37 UTC 2010

On 25 Oct 2010, at 16:56, ken mays wrote:

> The inquired packages are within Blastwave's stronghold and still 'professionally' maintained and supported for the global Solaris/OpenSolaris community:
>
> 1. PostgreSQL 8.4.3
> 2. GCC 4.5.1 / GDB 7.2
> 3. Postfix 2.7.1
> 4. Dovecot 1.0.13
> 5. AMP
> 6. Python 2.6.4/2.7
>
> If you want the latest versions of software like PostgreSQL 9.0.1 or OpenOffice 3.3.0rc1, then you can always inquire. The native ISV owners
> may have their own updates as well.
>
> Blastwave usually has all of the major open source server packages available so you don't need the alternate linux/BSD server distros in most cases.

Blastwave does however have a few downsides. It's an entirely separate install under /opt, so if you install something like postfix, you end up with lots and lots of other packages getting installed too. It also uses a completely different packaging system (pkgutil). Updates are also rather, er, well lets just say I've never dared update a blastwave install.

So it's a double edged sword - Blastwave does get you lots of nice new software, but really, OpenIndiana should provide all those things as part of the distribution in a maintained, integrated and seamless fashion.

Which is what we intend to do!

Cheers,

Alasdair