[OpenIndiana-discuss] Package repositories?

Alasdair Lumsden alasdairrr at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 23:52:20 UTC 2010

On 25 Oct 2010, at 06:46, Joachim Pihl wrote:

> Morning, all!
>
> I installed OpenIndiana a few weeks ago on my home file server, as a replacement for an old version of Solaris Community Edition after a bad case of on-disk corruption. I figure it is time to set up an MTA and all the associated bits + fetchmail.
>
> There are a few different Postfix and Dovecot packages floating around the net. The problem is telling which package is going to be maintained. Is the Blastwave repository actively maintained, and actually usable? Will the OpenIndiana project eventually include packages like the above?

We will absolutely include things like Postfix. It drives me completely nuts that things like that are missing.

I do not want people having to install Blastwave/OpenSFW or build things themselves just to get basic common software. That's just insane :)

We are working on getting the procedures/systems in place for creating a package building community, so at some point in the near future we should start seeing new packages appearing in the public repos. Postfix, Exim, Dovecot, Proftpd, Vsftpd, and other "important" software like that should be first to appear when we do start building things.

Cheers,

Alasdair