[OpenIndiana-discuss] Stable 134+ downlaod?

Frank Middleton f.middleton at apogeect.com
Mon Oct 25 23:08:40 UTC 2010

On 10/19/10 19:07, Alasdair Lumsden wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Once the 134+ ONNV (kernel+core userland) is built, we'll make it
> available as an upgrade to OpenSolaris snv_134. Hopefully this week,
> if not then next week.

It's understood that SPARC is lower priority and IIRC there's been very
little discussion on any of the OI mailing lists (has there been any?) about
SPARC.  Building an entire distribution from scratch is probably beyond
anything I could envisage doing, but I'd be happy to spend some time
and resources contributing to it. For example, after some help from
Alan Coopersmith I can build xorg (but not yet tigervnc or XSun) for
SPARC and have it run on snv 134.

AFAIK there's nothing yet for SPARC in the OI repository. Are there any
plans or even thoughts about when this might happen? Anything that
folks with relatively limited resources can do to help make it happen?
For sure it will need a SPARC version of Illumos, and there seems to be
a number of people working on it, but IIRC no explicit "Illumos is
ready for SPARC" as of yet. Is there any point in thinking about SPARC
userland before Illumos is ready?

Thanks -- Frank