[OpenIndiana-discuss] Stable 134+ downlaod?

Alasdair Lumsden alasdairrr at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 00:33:54 UTC 2010

Hi Frank,

On 26 Oct 2010, at 00:08, Frank Middleton wrote:

> On 10/19/10 19:07, Alasdair Lumsden wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Once the 134+ ONNV (kernel+core userland) is built, we'll make it
>> available as an upgrade to OpenSolaris snv_134. Hopefully this week,
>> if not then next week.
>
> It's understood that SPARC is lower priority and IIRC there's been very
> little discussion on any of the OI mailing lists (has there been any?) about
> SPARC.  Building an entire distribution from scratch is probably beyond
> anything I could envisage doing, but I'd be happy to spend some time
> and resources contributing to it. For example, after some help from
> Alan Coopersmith I can build xorg (but not yet tigervnc or XSun) for
> SPARC and have it run on snv 134.
>
> AFAIK there's nothing yet for SPARC in the OI repository. Are there any
> plans or even thoughts about when this might happen? Anything that
> folks with relatively limited resources can do to help make it happen?
> For sure it will need a SPARC version of Illumos, and there seems to be
> a number of people working on it, but IIRC no explicit "Illumos is
> ready for SPARC" as of yet. Is there any point in thinking about SPARC
> userland before Illumos is ready?

SPARC is being worked on by a few people, it took quite some time to get up from b134 to 147 for x86, and its taking a similar effort for SPARC. However we have ONNV up to build 145 for SPARC, so hopefully it won't be too long until we get the full thing built.

Support for SPARC may lag a bit behind our x86 releases, but once we get SPARC up to 147 it should be not too far behind x86.

Contributions would however be very much welcomed - the easiest way to get stuck in would be to hang out in our IRC channel #oi-dev on irc.freenode.net. This is a great way to see the OS develop as it happens, and as tasks crop up that you feel you could contribute to, you'll be able to jump in.

Obviously the success of open source distributions such as this one depend on community contributions, so we'd love to have you on board if you're able to help!

Cheers,

Alasdair