[OpenIndiana-discuss] Package repositories?

Joachim Pihl joachim.pihl at sensordevelopments.com
Tue Oct 26 05:28:50 UTC 2010

On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 01:52:20 +0200, Alasdair Lumsden
<alasdairrr at gmail.com> wrote:

> We will absolutely include things like Postfix. It drives me completely
> nuts that things like that are missing.
>
> I do not want people having to install Blastwave/OpenSFW or build things
> themselves just to get basic common software. That's just insane :)
>
> We are working on getting the procedures/systems in place for creating a
> package building community, so at some point in the near future we
> should start seeing new packages appearing in the public repos. Postfix,
> Exim, Dovecot, Proftpd, Vsftpd, and other "important" software like that
> should be first to appear when we do start building things.

This is good to hear, I was hoping the goal was to bring OI to the masses.

I really can't spend a lot of time working for the OI community, but when
the packages arrive, I will be trying them and reporting back if
installation or setup proves troublesome.

If I may chip in a suggestion: Rather than pouring out all the backend
packages first, then the admin tools, wouldn't it be an idea to give the
respective admin tool priority the moment the backend is packaged? I
detest having to figure out syntax, valid options, mutually exclusive
settings from a settings file with more or less cryptic comments and an
even more cryptic man page. I don't think I am alone...

--
Joachim Pihl
Development engineer