[OpenIndiana-discuss] Fun Task - Comparing OI packages vs CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu etc

Cia Watson ciamarie at my180.net
Fri Oct 29 08:49:01 UTC 2010

On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 09:43:10 -0400
Ian Johnson <itjohnson at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have been looking at this casually for my own purposes and would be
> interested in working on it - I'm not much of a programmer, so this
> is at least something I can do. I'm using OI on the desktop and the
> absence of some common tools is particularly noticeable in that
> capacity.
>
> This is a bit of a digression, but one of the major tools I can think
> of right off is WebKit. <deleted>

If you visit the spreadsheet
https://spreadsheets0.google.com/ccc?key=tpU3GvToyo7F_zrxYIIla9Q&authkey=CLyhzsQD&hl=en&authkey=CLyhzsQD#gid=2

you'll see there's a tab for 'wish list' which started with 2 items and
I added another (KeePassX) since osol / OI has no decent password
manager and that one is cross-platform. (i.e. the database created
works in my linux installs though it was created in the Win version of
keepass in Wine on osol). I'm also going to add flash-plugin to the
list since I installed that in osol from the sun extra repo.

Also while I'm typing about the spreadsheet, would it be acceptable to
fill in some of the missing data for Fedora 13 or other when I boot to
that, or is that strictly for data from distrowatch ? I wouldn't add
rows or anything since I already made that mistake once. :-/ I had
already filled in some of the missing Debian testing info.