[OpenIndiana-discuss] Rebranding Work

George Shepherd george.c.shepherd at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 08:37:10 UTC 2010

  On 01/09/2010 22:38, Alasdair Lumsden wrote:
> Right.
> I think the problem we have is that the authoritative source of the code is not ours and our changes need to be merged cleanly with it.
>
> So I think our clone which gets pulled each night from opensolaris upstream should remain read-only. We then need a clone of this, which maintains our patch queue and where final revision patches get pushed to.
Yup so that is the project's equivalent of the "gate" internally and it is write only (to below).
> So we will need a clone of *that* where development takes place, and after review final changes can get pushed up to the one above as a single change set.
Yup that is then the project's equivalent of the "clone" and is read only from below. All development takes place in children
of this clone.
> Does that sound sane?

Perfectly.
> It might not, as I don't know mercurial. I *really* need to spend some time learning it but time is really scarce at the moment :/
>
> If anyone is able/willing to step up to this and prescribe a process for managing our source control, I'd be very grateful!
Sadly I'm not very familiar with the gatekeeping procedures beyond understanding the basic model
described above. Others may or may not be in a position to share.

cheers
-George