[OpenIndiana-discuss] root pw on fresh install?

Chris Ridd chrisridd at mac.com
Thu Sep 16 06:34:41 UTC 2010

On 16 Sep 2010, at 04:43, Andrew Kinney wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have what is either a bug or a PEBKAC.
>
> I did a fresh install of OI b147 on a VirtualBox instance (x86-64).
>
> Now, I'm booting from the virtual hard drive (the install ISO is
> unmounted).
>
> I login as usual and go to System -> Adminstration -> Package Manager
> (or Update Manager). It prompts for the root password. I enter the
> only password I recall supplying to the system during installation.
> With no error or feedback of any kind, I get dumped back to the
> desktop.
>
> Another oddity is that on OpenSolaris b134 I'm used to running
> "pfexec bash" from a command line and the prompt changes to #
> (instead of $), but that doesn't seem to work in OI b147.
> Effectively, it's similar to "su" in the linux world. Again, with no
> feedback of any kind, it just goes back to the same command prompt.
>
> Is anyone else having these issues on a fresh install?

Yes I did too, and raised a bug. Rich thinks this is deliberate, a result of a change to caiman which doesn't make the default user a "Primary Administrator" in /etc/user_attr. It seems like sudo is the preferred alternative? The related problem (packagemanager) is that the other consolidations in 147 haven't changed enough to cope with this change.

As a workaround for those other consolidations you could always make yourself Primary Administrator again.

I dimly remember a thread on security-discuss about the Primary Administrator issue.

I suppose surprises like this are one of the things that's bound to occur with 6 months gap between releases!

This is definitely something for any future release notes.

Cheers,

Chris