[OpenIndiana-discuss] open64 as a replacement for Sun Studio?

Albert Lee trisk at opensolaris.org
Fri Sep 17 11:59:16 UTC 2010

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 4:39 AM, ken mays <maybird1776 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Mads,
>
> LLVM/CLANG is great conceptually, but many FOSS people already used and support GCC and Sun Studio as the formal compilers. I think people can use what they want to compile programs and build packages - but standing with
> the "well known and supported" tools is a 'safer' concept.
>
> Guess it leads us to old debates about this...

Fortunately with clang we'll have some good data points from FreeBSD's
ongoing integration, and can hopefully understand what needs to be
addressed if we were to decide to adopt it. We'll also have to see
what direction Illumos takes - there's no point in increasing the
number of compilers we'd have to support at once.

-Albert