[OpenIndiana-discuss] open64 as a replacement for Sun Studio?

Hillel Lubman shtetldik at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 14:54:25 UTC 2010

Some time ago PathScale wanted to release their C/C++ compiler for
OpenSolaris based of Open64 as open source, and they claimed it would be
more efficient than even Sun cc. Performance gain is a good reason to use
it. The second reason is, that Sun didn't have a chance to release Sun cc as
open source. This leaves a dependency on closed components (which Illumos
aims to get rid of for example). I'm not sure what PathScale plans are now,
you can see the old discussion here:
http://www.opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=124667&tstart=0

Regards,

Hillel.