[OpenIndiana-discuss] Userland questions?

Stefan Müller-Wilken stefan.mueller-wilken at acando.de
Tue Sep 21 13:42:19 UTC 2010

Hi there Mike,

My personal opinion would generally be not to work on too many sites at a time but concentrate on what's essential to survive the first 100 days: i.e. make the distribution install, get rid of nasty bugs, make it play nicely on main platforms and work on building a stable platform for a critical mass of people. That does not necessarily mean mainstream but only be attractive to enough people to keep the community alive.

Apart from that I'd try to be as close to Solaris as possible. It is definitely not a good idea to try to be 'the better Linux distribution'. Others do that already and they do it quite successfully. And that's exactly where OI fits: be a community driven alternative to Solaris.

It is only my two cents but I'd rather not touch this for the moment - unless someone is willing to set up an IPS package repository and spend time on it that would otherwise be spent outside the OI community ;-)

Cheers
 Stefan.