[OpenIndiana-discuss] Eager to make the move...

Alasdair Lumsden alasdairrr at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 00:35:48 UTC 2010

Spotted some of the other questions weren't answered...

On 20 Sep 2010, at 23:00, Lou Picciano wrote:

> Alasdair and crew,
>
> First off, thanks for taking the reins and making this happen - we're looking forward to working with OpenIndiana. Feels like home...!

No problem - welcome on board! OI is very much about community participation and hopefully everyone feels welcome and over the coming weeks and months we should make contributing easier for anyone who wishes to do so. We're just organising things at the moment, which sadly takes time due to everyone having those pesky $dayjobs.

> As a first challenge, we're wondering if it's possible to install OI on an unbootable install of 134. In a frenzy of 'overenthusiastic experimentation', one of our guys may have deleted (?) some parts (?) of the filesystem. The one sure thing is that is that the BEs will not boot, though we do get to the point of the grub screen to select them.

As others have said, I'd recommend a fresh install if possible.

> Is there a way to mount a BE, then update to OI from there?

From the Live CD, you could in theory plumb up networking, and zpool import, and then with "pkg -R /mnt/blah" follow the upgrade steps. But really you're better off re-installing.

> More broadly, now that we're on board with OI, will this list, and the OI wiki, be the places for all support? Where does the wiki fit in the context of a still somewhat active openSolaris site? Is there some overlap still, or should we cut bait at this point?

The bugs database, this mailing list, and our wiki are the main places. The OpenSolaris homepage will remain around as an archive of useful information.

I'm hoping to get a high quality documentation project going which produces something similar to the FreeBSD handbook, but for OpenIndiana. If anyone is interested in this just give me a shout and I'll get a wiki account set up for you.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Alasdair