[OpenIndiana-discuss] How to login as root

Kevin J. Woolley kjw at javabunny.net
Sat Sep 25 23:19:35 UTC 2010

On Saturday, 25 September, 2010 16:09, "Jeppe Toustrup" <openindiana at tenzer.dk> said:

> Maybe it would be easier to just refer to users should use "sudo"
> instead of "su", that would be the same way to get root access as ie.
> Ubuntu uses, which people trying out OpenIndiana may have tried
> before.

My personal observation on this is that people are very attached to the way they like to access root functionality, and su, sudo, and pfexec all have their die-hard proponents who can't imagine why anyone would want to do it any way other than the way they do it.  I'll leave the question of recommended policy to someone willing to fight those battles.

> An improvement may be to add information about this in the installer
> on the page where you enter the username and password. A simple text
> such as "This user will be able to run commands as root by pre-pending
> 'sudo' to them" may help users get going and not having to look up
> FAQs and mailing lists.

I agree that may help matters some.  I recommend filing a bug/feature request at the bug tracker (check the wiki, don't have the URL handy) against the installer (Caiman, I think).

Cheers,

kjw