[OpenIndiana-discuss] How to login as root

Jeppe Toustrup openindiana at tenzer.dk
Sat Sep 25 23:09:33 UTC 2010

2010/9/26 Daniel Kjar <dkjar at elmira.edu>:
> I would suggest mentioning a reason why this strangeness exists.  You may
> know why, and your friends may know why, but for the life of me I can't
> imagine anyone else understanding this 'feature' out of the box.

Maybe it would be easier to just refer to users should use "sudo"
instead of "su", that would be the same way to get root access as ie.
Ubuntu uses, which people trying out OpenIndiana may have tried
before.

An improvement may be to add information about this in the installer
on the page where you enter the username and password. A simple text
such as "This user will be able to run commands as root by pre-pending
'sudo' to them" may help users get going and not having to look up
FAQs and mailing lists.

--
Venlig hilsen / Kind regards
Jeppe Toustrup