[OpenIndiana-discuss] Taking a long time to shut down

Matt Connolly matt.connolly.au at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 10:09:06 UTC 2011

I've done a few reboot tests recently, and I'm seeing that my Open Indiana install is taking a very long time to shutdown.

After the X window system packs up, I seen on the screen a message, such as:

svc.startd: 119 system services are now being stopped.

20 minutes later, the machine is still running and I can ssh in from another machine.

If I run `svcs` I can see that there are 72 services still running. It appears that it's getting stuck shutting some down. The ones that are transitioning from online are:

online*        19:52:13 svc:/network/http:apache22
online*        19:52:13 svc:/network/iptun:default
online*        19:52:13 svc:/system/pkgserv:default
online*        19:52:15 svc:/system/fm/smtp-notify:default
online*        19:52:15 svc:/system/zones-monitoring:default

Has anyone experienced problems with services shutting down - these in particular, or others - causing very long shutdown times?

Thanks,
Matt