[OpenIndiana-discuss] Greetings and question

Marc Lobelle marc.lobelle at uclouvain.be
Tue Apr 5 13:37:44 UTC 2011

Good morning all of you,

I'm new to this list but using various versions of SunOS and Solaris since the eighties, the last
years mainly solarisx86 and opensolaris on servers, desktops and laptops.

I have let several useful add-ons be developed over the years by my master students as master
theses, such as camera support, IP over usb, and recently wifi authentication with EAP-TTLS and
EAP-PEAP.
Unfortunately the opensolaris version used as starting point for the last development is not
available anymore.

Actually, I'm not too happy with the apparent changes of policy of Oracle in comparison with what
SUN used to do in recent years, so, I'm trying to switch to openindiana.

As a first step, I would like to move to open indiana, my hp mini 5101. I tried last WE and first I
asked the available tool if the hardware of this netbook is supported. The answer was yes except the
3 network interfaces (marvel Yucon gigabit interface, broadcom 4322AGN wifi interface and HP un2400
3G interface) which would mean that openindiana is completely useless on this computer.

However, on http://wiki.openindiana.org:8080/display/oi/Ethernet+Networking, one says the the yge
driver supports the Marvel Yucon interface

on http://wiki.openindiana.org:8080/display/oi/WiFi, I do not see any support for the Broadcom interface

So my questions are:
1. should yge work with the marvel Yucon88E8072 interface of the 5101
2. are there drivers nearly ready to be announced for the broadcom 4322AGN wifi interface and HP
un2400 3G interface ?  and, if not, are there other cards that are supported: I assume that these
little cards can easily be replaced if I remove the keyboard.

3. When all this wil work, should I try to port the EAPTTLS/EAP PEAP developments to openIndiana or
is somebopdy else already busy with this.µ

4. Finally, ih a few weeks I shall have to configure a pair of 12-core servers with ARECA RAID
controllers ARC-1212. Which solaris-like OS do you recommend for this ? Still solaris 10 ?

Best regards

Marc