[OpenIndiana-discuss] Greetings and question

Albert Lee trisk at opensolaris.org
Tue Apr 5 14:21:36 UTC 2011

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 9:37 AM, Marc Lobelle <marc.lobelle at uclouvain.be> wrote:
> Good morning all of you,
>
> I'm new to this list but using various versions of SunOS and Solaris since
> the eighties, the last years mainly solarisx86 and opensolaris on servers,
> desktops and laptops.
>
> I have let several useful add-ons be developed over the years by my master
> students as master theses, such as camera support, IP over usb, and recently
> wifi authentication with EAP-TTLS and EAP-PEAP.
> Unfortunately the opensolaris version used as starting point for the last
> development is not available anymore.
>
> Actually, I'm not too happy with the apparent changes of policy of Oracle in
> comparison with what SUN used to do in recent years, so, I'm trying to
> switch to openindiana.
>
> As a first step, I would like to move to open indiana, my hp mini 5101. I
> tried last WE and first I asked the available tool if the hardware of this
> netbook is supported. The answer was yes except the 3 network interfaces
> (marvel Yucon gigabit interface, broadcom 4322AGN wifi interface and HP
> un2400 3G interface) which would mean that openindiana is completely useless
> on this computer.
>
> However, on http://wiki.openindiana.org:8080/display/oi/Ethernet+Networking,
> one says the the yge driver supports the Marvel Yucon interface
>
> on http://wiki.openindiana.org:8080/display/oi/WiFi, I do not see any
> support for the Broadcom interface
>
> So my questions are:
> 1. should yge work with the marvel Yucon88E8072 interface of the 5101
> 2. are there drivers nearly ready to be announced for the broadcom 4322AGN
> wifi interface and HP un2400 3G interface ?  and, if not, are there other
> cards that are supported: I assume that these little cards can easily be
> replaced if I remove the keyboard.
>
> 3. When all this wil work, should I try to port the EAPTTLS/EAP PEAP
> developments to openIndiana or is somebopdy else already busy with this.µ
>

> 4. Finally, ih a few weeks I shall have to configure a pair of 12-core
> servers with ARECA RAID controllers ARC-1212. Which solaris-like OS do you
> recommend for this ? Still solaris 10 ?
>
> Best regards
>
> Marc

Hi Marc,

OpenIndiana is a distribution, the core OS development takes place in
the illumos project. I have CC'ed the developer list for illumos, and
I would recommend for you to subscribe to it (
https://www.illumos.org/projects/site/wiki/Mailing_Lists ).

For the driver questions:

Of Yukon 2 chips, I believe only the 88E8040, 88E8053/56/58 are
supported right now but it should be very easy to add the 88E8072.

Broadcom wireless is not supported. I suggest buying an Intel or
Atheros mini PCI-e card (they're $5-10 in the US).

HP un2400 is not supported. It needs a firmware blob and a Qualcomm
specific serial driver. Other 3G devices that use the USB CDC standard
are supported, not sure about PCI-e.

We recently updated the Areca arcmsr driver and we're still working on
a larger overhaul so I believe we have the best version of the driver
currently available.

I am extremely excited to hear about your master students' work in EAP
support for wireless and would be happy to help with integration.

There are only a few days left before the deadline, but your current
students are still welcome to apply to Google Summer of Code for
illumos:
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org/google/gsoc2011/illumos

Thanks,

-Albert