[OpenIndiana-discuss] System halts on boot when there is no keyboard

Robin Axelsson gu99roax at student.chalmers.se
Sat Apr 9 11:24:12 UTC 2011

Hi,
I just discovered that the system simply won't boot when there is no
keyboard present, all I see is a dead boot splash without the rolling
orange sausage.

The intention of the system is to run it as a headless file server but I
had to attach a keyboard to take care of regular HTSF errors that
occurred in the BIOS. After a few BIOS updates the errors still occur
but I don't need a keyboard to reset the system and try again until the
BIOS can proceed without HTSF errors.

I also noticed that as soon as I insert the keyboard to the PS/2 port
the orange sausage starts to roll and the system boots up, so it is as
if the system is just sitting there waiting for a keyboard to say "Hello".

This looks like a bug to me but is there a way to circumvent this and
still be able to use a keyboard whenever I plug one in on the PS/2 port
while it's booted up and running (X)?