[OpenIndiana-discuss] System halts on boot when there is no keyboard

Nikola M. minikola at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 14:47:26 UTC 2011

On 04/ 9/11 01:24 PM, Robin Axelsson wrote:
> Hi,
> I just discovered that the system simply won't boot when there is no
> keyboard present, all I see is a dead boot splash without the rolling
> orange sausage.
>
> The intention of the system is to run it as a headless file server but
> I had to attach a keyboard to take care of regular HTSF errors that
> occurred in the BIOS. After a few BIOS updates the errors still occur
> but I don't need a keyboard to reset the system and try again until
> the BIOS can proceed without HTSF errors.
>
> I also noticed that as soon as I insert the keyboard to the PS/2 port
> the orange sausage starts to roll and the system boots up, so it is as
> if the system is just sitting there waiting for a keyboard to say
> "Hello".
>
> This looks like a bug to me but is there a way to circumvent this and
> still be able to use a keyboard whenever I plug one in on the PS/2
> port while it's booted up and running (X)?
I guess system should boot without  keyboard and if it is getting to
that after starting X (sausage) that might be feature bug. And might be
reported.
I was always thinking about that thing as of progress or as a snake but
I suppose it is a matter of perspective.

On the other hand, you probably will not log in from X on local graphics
X console, so you might disable graphical gdm as service from loading
and see how it behaves.
$pfexec svcadm disable svc:/application/graphical-login/gdm

All that, providing that BIOS on your machine allows it to even start
booting without keyboard attached. Try setting Errors: None, All Errors:
All, but disk/key in BIOS settings, that might do it for most normal x86
PC bioses I have seen.