[OpenIndiana-discuss] Central management

Jamon Camisso jamonation at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 15:55:36 UTC 2011

On 04/10/11 04:53 PM, Ivar Janmaat wrote:
> Thanks for the links.
> I was looking more for something which does not require MS windows.
> Tight home dir control is what I also used. But keeping up with all the
> desktop settings and trying to find how to control things, feels like
> working backwards.
> If people are serious about opensource in the enterprise without the
> need for MS windows. (that will probably take some time...but just
> imagine) then it would be nice for administrators to use some desktop
> control tool. If all applications would  read the mandatory settings
> from the control tool (database/ldap) then opensource deployments would
> be much easier.
> Is there nothing in the opensource world which addresses this issue?

Gnome has Sabayon for just that use case. I've used it before for Linux
desktops. Not sure how much work it would take to get running on
OpenIndiana: http://live.gnome.org/Sabayon

You might also try Puppet as another commenter pointed out. Use jruby
and run "gem install puppet" to start. It will be in
/var/ruby/1.8/gem_home/bin/puppet if you install it with root privileges.

More here: http://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/introduction.html

Regards, Jamon