[OpenIndiana-discuss] pool messup

Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk roy at karlsbakk.net
Tue Apr 12 08:07:04 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
> On 12/04/2011 8:38 a.m., Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
> > Persistent mapping is disabled, and has been for some time. lsiutil
> > shows no persistent mappings. The drives are a varity of makes. The
> > system has been the same since I reinstalled it a month or two back.
> >
> > roy
>
> I would suggest using lsiutil to check the port link speed of the
> whole
> SAS topology.
> You can see the link status and negotiated speed for each port on the
> expander. A poor SAS cable connection to a JBOD can affect
> connectivity
> and reliability, as can incorrect negotiation of speed.
>
> Moving a controller to a different slot will change the device id's.
>
> I have experienced disk issues when under high load.
> In my experience, very few disks work well with expanders.
> I use only one model after having issues show up after months of
> trouble
> free running.
>
> For Supermicro expanders, avoid all 6Gbit sata disks and all non RE
> WD.
> A few Seagates are ok e.g. ST32000542AS , but ST32000641NS (6gbit) are
> not.
> Hitachi disks seem to be a winner all round, but now that WD is buying
> them out, it will likely that they will soon disappear.
>
> Bad or suspect blocks can also show up as a problem with timeouts.
>
> The zfs timeout issue is usually the result of the long error retry
> that
> nearly all desktop (except Hitachi) disks use by default.
> My take on this is the manufacturers method of forcing you to use
> Enterprise disks, since this behaviour breaks most raid systems.
> The end user used to have control of the timeout, but it has now been
> hard coded to very long.

Thanks for the tip, but I think I'll start out with flashing the controller first. We have seen variants of this problem on several boxes with various type of drives, including non-RE WD (yeah, I know it's not optimal, but it works!), various disk chassises, and with only one thing in common I can spot - the same controller type with the IT firmware. This firmware is meant to be perfect for JBOD use, but it seems there are issues there. IR or IE seems to be ok.

Vennlige hilsener / Best regards

roy
--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk
(+47) 97542685
roy at karlsbakk.net
http://blogg.karlsbakk.net/
--
I all pedagogikk er det essensielt at pensum presenteres intelligibelt. Det er et elementært imperativ for alle pedagoger å unngå eksessiv anvendelse av idiomer med fremmed opprinnelse. I de fleste tilfeller eksisterer adekvate og relevante synonymer på norsk.