[OpenIndiana-discuss] Device placement havoc (Was: pool messup)

Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk roy at karlsbakk.net
Thu Apr 14 17:27:22 UTC 2011

Hi all

Seems the pool messup was a controller issue. Replaced the controller with an LSI 9200, and problem gone. Some transmission errors in iostat, but nothing really bad, and with a bunch of WD Greens on a 6Gbps SAS backplane, I guess I'm asking for trouble anyway.

Still, with the new controller, a new driver, mpt2, is used. This means that my former cxtxdx devices have turned into cxtWWNdx devices. With both disk chassises, one 2U and one 4U, both from SuperMicro, I can find no mapping whatsoever between physical slot and their WWN. For the WD drives, that's somewhat doable, since the drives are labelled with their respecive WWN, but for the Seagates and Hitatchis, it's a bit worse.

So, back to square one, how the hell can I find a mapping between disk and slot? Some say this is supposed to work on Nexenta, with the same hardware, but has Nexenta released the code for this? Do they have to release the code, as would be the case with GPL? Will they release any code if asked?

Btw, luxadm doesn't work on these chassises either...

Thanks in advance for any constructive input on this

Vennlige hilsener / Best regards

roy
--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk
(+47) 97542685
roy at karlsbakk.net
http://blogg.karlsbakk.net/
--
I all pedagogikk er det essensielt at pensum presenteres intelligibelt. Det er et elementært imperativ for alle pedagoger å unngå eksessiv anvendelse av idiomer med fremmed opprinnelse. I de fleste tilfeller eksisterer adekvate og relevante synonymer på norsk.