[OpenIndiana-discuss] poor performance scaling when deploying shared zfs filesystems.

Alastair Neil ajneil at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 20:53:09 UTC 2011

I had a bug filed with Sun on Opensolaris long ago (CR 6850837 , P2
utility/filesharing libshare enhancements to address performance and
scalability) and I thought I try OI to see if anything had improved
with recent builds.

I am trying to deploy around 6000 filesystems across 3 pools.  Each
pool consists of mirrored iscsi targets.  Each file system is deployed
with a refquota, quota and sharesmb parameters set and sharenfs
(krb5,rw) is inherited.

Initially the file systems were deploying at a rate of  1  every 2
seconds.  Now, 29 hours later 4616 filesystems have been deployed and
the rate has dropped to less than 1 per minute. Assuming the process
does not slow any more it will take another 24 hours to finish
deploying the file systems.

I see occasional mail activities from Oracle about the original bug -
but there are no details just references added.  Does anyone have any
ideas about progress on the issue?

Regards,  Alastair