[OpenIndiana-discuss] ZFS with Dedupication for NFS server

James Kohout jkohout at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 21 21:12:34 UTC 2011

All,
 Been running opensolaris 134 with a 9T RaidZ2 array as a backup server
in a  production environment.   Whenever I tried to turn the ZFS
deduplication I always had crashes and other issues, which I most likely
attributed to the know ZFS dedup bugs in 134.  Once I rebuild the pool
without dedup, things have been running great for several months without
a glitch.  As a result, I am highly confident it was not a hardware issue.

So looking to upgrade to io148 to be able to enable deduplication.  So
does have any experience running a ZFS RaidZ2 pool with deduplication in
a production environment?  Is  ZFS deduplication in oi148 considered
stable/production ready?  I would hate to break a working setup chasing a
feature that is not ready.

Any feedback, experience would be appreciated.

Thanks,
James Kohout
jkohout at yahoo.com