[OpenIndiana-discuss] Touchscreen support

Richard Thornton richie.thornton at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 05:35:13 UTC 2011

Hi

Apologies in advance if this is OT, if so, could you point me in the
right direction.

I am building a ZFS server and looking for advice on how to implement
a touchscreen in the front of it's case.

The screen would show system info, pools and utilization (CPU / Disk /
RAM / Network) info.

Basically when you click on a pool you get a physical disk layout on
the screen with drop-downs for:

-number of disks
-rows
-disks per row
-select slice number beside each disk

And then you save the above info, your layout appears automatically for you.

Disks would change colour based on their status, that kind of thing.

You touch a disk and it brings up a detail page.

Maybe web-based with an auto-refresh capability.

Is software like this available already for Solaris (I have seen
napp-it), if not, any suggestions on the best way to approach this?

Aside from the above software development, How should I approach the
touchscreen function:

1/ Touchscreen plugged directly into the Solaris server via USB and VGA
2/ Something like a beagleboard with touchscreen linked via serial or IP
3/ An iPad or Android tablet linked via wifi

(1) would require a Solaris HID driver for the touchscreen.

Basically it would be cool to be able to:

-touch the screen
-see there was a problem
-identify the physical position of the problem disk
-take it offline...

I would love your input on both the touchscreen and the software dev.

Thanks for your time.

--Richard