[OpenIndiana-discuss] Java 7

Linda Kateley linda.kateley at nexenta.com
Wed Aug 3 02:48:49 UTC 2011

On 8/2/11 9:23 PM, Anil wrote:
> Was that before things like ZFS etc?
that actually came out with opensolaris. there was some number that we
hardly sold any of them, which made it ok to cancel.

> That happened to Sun because they were "donating" everything away, including
> the source. Open source might increase community involvement, but won't
> keep the boat afloat.
>
> Finding the right price isn't my job, but all I can say is, I am not gong to
> pay $800-$1000 per server (or something high like that) just for the OS...
That is what people pay. They pay about that for enterprise windows,
about that for linux..Vmware list price is very expensive. Do you have
any idea what hp-ux costs? or aix? published numbers are in the 10's of
thousands..sometime per proc or core. Add some cluster and...and don't
forget the database at 40K per cpu license. websphere 40k per proc, ...
all of that to save money.
> if I were a big company, of course that's not an issue. If you are a SMB,
> this might become a problem
yes it is a huge problem. especially since the smb's almost always pay
list price. The big companies negotiate to sometimes 60-80% discounts..
but the little guys pay list.

> ... Unfortunate for a lot of us, Oracle's target
> customers are different! We just need another revolution in some technology,
> and everyone will dump Oracle's enterprise-costs for the alternative (think
> Solaris vs Linux).
We need to help them understand that the technology they are getting is
something we could build. They get it with linux, but they don't with
enterprise storage. a disk is a disk. the difference between commodity
disk and enterprise storage is... software. and that software is
here...and free and open

> Sun thought it could repeat history by offering a free OS like Linux, but it
> couldn't. Sun at a later point had all the ingredients to actually charge
> for things and people would still pay (e.g. ZFS/zones etc...) IMO.
Does anyone remember for the 20 minutes sun actually had a linux? it was
called sunlinux 5.0. We figured we could do linux just as well as anyone
else... When we went to have the enterprise software vendors certify to
it, everyone said... no. they did redhat or suse or both. but they
weren't going to certify every linux distro.

IMHO the strategy of free and open was sound, the tactics were not. I
actually used to have sales reps ask me not to tell customers that
solaris was free or available on x86. It was hard to let people know, if
we couldn't tell them :)