[OpenIndiana-discuss] OpenIndiana (or others) and Dell E6320 - Sandybridge

Tomas Bodzar tomas.bodzar at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 15:13:43 UTC 2011

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 4:59 PM, Alan Coopersmith
<alan.coopersmith at oracle.com> wrote:

> On 08/22/11 06:28, ken mays wrote:
>> 4. Use Nvidia GPU video card and Nvidia closed driver as workaround.
>
> Most laptops make it pretty damned impossible to stick a new video card in
> if you don't like the on-board graphics.   With a sandybridge, where the
> on-board graphics is in the CPU chip, well...good luck.

Exactly. Bigger models have two cards, but not this one.

Nvidia don't care so much about Open source so it's not a way for me
in any case (voting by money :-)) and I have laptop with Intel GT2+
because of it's performance which is comparable to Nvidia. It's just
too much new piece of HW, but I know that nearly all systems are
working on support or have it already. That's why I said that vga is
last issue which I care about. LAN device or those bus devices are
different case.

On Solaris 11 express (151a) are exactly same issues.