[OpenIndiana-discuss] X11 Forwarding.. Can't Open Display

Kimmo Jaskari kimmo.jaskari at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 18:08:59 UTC 2011

I'm having this issue (I believe, looking at the archives, Jonathan
Leafty has the same thing).

I knew I recognized this issue, and it cropped up immediately after I
decided to go with OpenIndiana (since I couldn't get xVM in ye olde
OpenSolaris snv_134 do what I wanted it to do anyway, may as well go
with the developing version) - it worked just fine in OpenSolaris 134,
though, no problems whatsoever.

So it was a rude shock when I couldn't get packagemanager to open in X
in either a zone or the global zone via X forwarding, which worked
fine literally 15 minutes earlier, after starting OI 148... and I
recognized this problem, I had it years ago at work, just couldn't
recall details...

ssh -V = Sun_SSH_1.5, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x009080ff

Ugh. And let me say again, ugh. This crap (pardon my language) was in
Solaris 10, and it doesn't even comprehend the notion of
"ForwardX11Trusted Yes". It's so much behind the OpenSSH curve it's
not even amusing anymore.

There's a workaround that may do the trick with copying across
MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE's manually and the like, but... ugh. Ack, ptui, even.
:)

I can't be sure that that is the error but it sure seems familiar.
Guess I have to go find OpenSSH somewhere. I guess the venerable old
Sunfreeware is still around huh.

--
-{ Kimmo Jaskari }--{ kimmo.jaskari at gmail.com }--

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go
away." -- Philip K. Dick