[OpenIndiana-discuss] BAD WD drives - defective by design?

John McEntee jmcentee at stirling-dynamics.com
Mon Aug 29 21:35:24 UTC 2011

the WD drives have a what WD call TLER, that is a setting that defines
how long the drive trys to read a bad sector before giving up at
returning an error. The raid edition does this almost instantly and the
RAID hardware / ZFS can then decide what to do. The non RAID edition
retries for a long time before returning and error which result in RAID
hardware and ZFS thinking the drive is dead an not responding at all.

Search google for WDTLER and download the windows program and see if it
allows your drive to be changed. I believe WD has stopped it working on
the latest cheap non RAID drives. For this resaon I by Hitachi, soon the
only choice will be the WD RAID or Seagate. I am trying to squeeze in
one last Hitachi upgrade to 3TB in at the moment.

John

On 29/08/2011 22:22, Rennie Allen wrote:
> I think Rich was suggesting using 4k sectors on the file system, not asking
> what the drives sector size was.
>
> On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 2:15 PM, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk<roy at karlsbakk.net>wrote:
>
>> All drives have 512b sector sizes, WD FASS (blacks) and WD EADS (greens)
>> both use plain old 512 sectors.....

The contents of this e-mail and any attachment(s) are strictly confidential and are solely for the person(s) at the e-mail address(es) above. If you are not an addressee, you may not disclose, distribute, copy or use this e-mail, and we request that you send an e-mail to admin at stirling-dynamics.com and delete this e-mail.  Stirling Dynamics Ltd. accepts no legal liability for the contents of this e-mail including any errors, interception or interference, as internet communications are not secure.  Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Stirling Dynamics Ltd. Registered In England No. 2092114 Registered Office: 26 Regent Street, Clifton, Bristol. BS8 4HG
VAT no. GB 464 6551 29