[OpenIndiana-discuss] Dell R510 SAS2 Backplane with SAS2008 (PERC H200)

James C. McPherson james.c.mcpherson at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 03:09:20 UTC 2011

On  1/12/11 08:57 AM, Andy Lubel wrote:
> I dont think its the controller card so much as I think its something to do
> with the disks/backplane/power management even.  It works fine if I create
> raid volumes.  if you wanted to be similar to Rich, you could just do a
> bunch of raid 0's with a perc 600.  Using any type of raid with ZFS creates
> its own challenges in both performance tuning as well as recovery.
>
> I would buy a 1U pizza box and a SAS HBA and JBOD.. In the past I had the
> 1078 chips connected to a AIC JBOD, never had issues, but then again it was
> solaris 10..  Made expansion super easy.  I do miss my thumper still though
> :)
>
> Oracle says pretty clear that they dont support any type of expanders,
> funny cause the J45xx series are all expanders..

What do you actually mean by this? Expanders are in use
in the Jxxxx series, they show up as sgen (or ses) devices.
Expanders respond to SCSI Enclosure Services commands.

To the best of my recollection, there's no command interface
for SAS Zoning in OI or Solaris 11, but if you want that
you should be able to bolt things together using the usmp(7i)
interface.

James C. McPherson
--
Solaris kernel software engineer, system admin and troubleshooter
               http://www.jmcp.homeunix.com/blog