[OpenIndiana-discuss] Dell R510 SAS2 Backplane with SAS2008 (PERC H200)

Andy Lubel alubel at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 04:17:32 UTC 2011

Im sorry you got that idea, I totally agree with you.. But I came across this oracle Solaris 11 document that stated that expanders were not supported although I have used them in both the 7000 series (with the j series expanders) and using commodity expander shelves with commodity lsi based sas hba's. Either the dell isn't doing something special or oracle has put something in that makes it work only with specific manufacturer bits?  The fact that Solaris 10 works perfectly has me quite confused.

None of them were sas2 though.. And these 2tb 6gbps sas constellation drives make me suspect somebody frankenstiened some technology that solaris 11 and OI doesnt like.  I don't think dell made the expander although I have no clue to find out who actually did.

Sas info shows nothing regarding expanders..  I really want to figure this out because at 7k for 12 3.5" slots and 2 hidden 2.5" internal drives this r510 would be an ideal candidate for those who live in a regime where building the hardware solution can't involve building from ground up.

I'm going to throw in some straight up sas drives and see what happens. Unless you may know a command to gather more troubleshooting information.